Sources & Definitions
A question or policy that is put on a ballot for citizens to vote on directly
Pieces of land owned by the United States that are not states and are administered by an appointed or elected governor and elected legislature
Websites and Online Resources
- Associated Press. American Samoans don’t have right to U.S. citizenship, court rules. Public Broadcasting Service, (Newshour).
- Castillo, Mariano. Puerto Ricans favor statehood for first time. CNN, (Politics).
- Downes vs. Bidwell. Find Law, (US Supreme Court).
- Islands We Serve. U.S. Department of the Interior, (Office of Insular Affairs).
- 'The White Man’s Burden': Kipling’s Hymn to U.S. Imperialism. History Matters: The US Survey Course on the Web.
- United States congressional non-voting members. BallotPedia, (Unique Congress pages).
- U.S. Approves Funds for Referendum on Puerto Rico’s Status. Latin American Herald Tribune, (Caribbean).
- U.S. Electoral College: Frequently Asked Questions. U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.
- U.S. Insular Areas: Applicability of Relevant Provisions of the U.S. Constitution. U.S. General Accounting Office.
- What Are The Insular Cases? PR51st.